Planting season is right around the corner. Here are 5 quick tips to make sure you are ready:
• Avoid planting in wet soils. Soil is ready if it crumbles when squeezed rather than sticking together in a clump.
• Check soil temperatures between 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM at 5-6 inches in depth, and plant when 50°F or warmer.
• Optimal corn depth is 2”. It is recommended to not plant less than 1½” deep or more than 2½” deep.
• Optimal soybean planting depth is 1¾’’. It’s better to plant too deep than it is to plant too shallow. Deeper soil depths will have more consistent temperature and moisture.
• Optimal alfalfa planting depth is a quarter-inch in a very firm seedbed.
• High speeds result in uneven spacing and shallow depth.
• Slow down to 4 MPH for the most consistent results.
• Take advantage of your pre-planting down time.
• Check and replace all worn parts and review your equipment manuals.
▢ Level the Planter
▢ Check Bushings and Parallel Linkage
▢ Drive System
▢ Calibrate Corn Meters
▢ Double Disk Openers
▢ Seed Tubes
▢ Closing Wheel System
▢ Closing Wheel Alignment
▢ Row Cleaners
▢ Improve Germination with Seed Firmers
▢ Gauge Wheel Adjustment
• Contact your equipment manufacturer with questions.